The Unbroken Reverie

...the spirit never ceases to flourish.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Songs that Express Me

Written by Mike Gallego

These are the songs that I listen to whenever I am in deep doubts, confusion, or seemingly endless problems, or sometimes when I just need some inspiration. Since the Season of Lent began this year, these are the songs I have been listening to.

You Are Loved, Don't Give Up by Josh Groban
The message of this song is very simple, yet very strong. This song tells us to carry on despite our adversities in life. If you are a spiritual person, while listening to this song, you could even imagine that God is the one singing to you, “they are mere adversities, don’t give up, I love you.”
"Don't give up. It's just the weight of the world. When your heart's heavy, I will lift it for you."

Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
Anyone who has a desire to find himself, or passion to break free and explore the world could certainly relate to this song. It tells us not to be afraid to try new things, and strive hard till we reach our goals.
"I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly. I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky. And I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change, and breakaway."

Power of the Dream by Celine Dion
This song sends out a very important message: everything started with a dream; all our achievements, undertakings, and endeavors. This song tells us to be brave to chase our dreams, and never get tired until they totally manifest themselves.
"Your mind will take you far. The rest is just in your heart. You’ll find your fate is all your own creation."

Warrior is a Child by Gary Valenciano
This song represents my life perfectly, and it really touches my soul when I listen to it. Even though I appear strong, I think I am vulnerable. Oftentimes, I cheat the world with smiles and laughter, although deep within is a devastated individual. This song reminds us to surrender all our failures to God. He will always be there to pick us up.
"People say that I'm amazing, I never face retreat. But they don't see the enemies that lay me at His feet."

Who Am I by Casting Crowns
It is embarrassing to realize that sometimes, we only remember to call on Him when we are in trouble, or we are in need; what is even more embarrassing is that most of the time, they just consist of complaints, abhorrence, and disapprovals like we can do better than Him. This song is a wonderful reminder to us that God loves us so, and care for us. God is so good that in spite of all our failures, mistakes, sins, weaknesses and shortcomings, He still accepts us and helps us to endure, overcome them, and improve. Let us exert ourselves to get to know Him also as He deserves.
"Who am I that the Lord of all the earth, would care to know my name, and would care to feel my hurt? Who am I?"

Keep a holy Lent.

2 Comment(s) -:

B said...

Irerecommend ko sana sa'yo yung Who Am I. Pagscroll down ko nandito pala. Hehe. I love the song. Ito ang unang kantang pinapakinggan ko tuwing umaga at huli sa gabi. It has become a part of my morning and evening prayers. :)
This song lifts me up everytime I feel unsure of God's plan for me

Not because of who I am but because of what You've done. Not because of what I've done but because of who You are.

I also recommend Nyoy Volante's Because of Your Love. =) God bless you Mike. =)

Mike Gallego said...

onga. nice din yung kay nyoy.. thanks belette. May the Lord bless you too :)