The Unbroken Reverie

...the spirit never ceases to flourish.

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Marian Procession

Written by Mike Gallego

Last Sunday, I went to Intramuros, Manila to take pictures of historic monuments and structures. Unfortunately, the main portal, across the moat, of Fort Santiago was closed. I was unaware that the 29th Grand Marian Procession was going to be held there that day till I saw the crowd busy preparing their floats. I just decided to wait till the procession starts and so I could join. Since I brought my DSLR and my real aim was to get pictures, while waiting, I started taking pictures of the statues of the Blessed Mother on their vast floats decorated with flowers.

The procession went on for several hours, it started at 5PM and it ended at around 10PM.

Here are some pictures to prove that I really participated in the Marian procession. There will be no more description of each photo for, as Fred R. Barnard said, a picture is worth a thousand words. Ha-ha! You may click them to enlarge.







The Grand Marian Procession is held in Intramuros annually on a day prior to the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. More than a hundred of statues and images of the Blessed Mother are paraded through the streets of Intramuros. The statues are traveled from different parts of the country and hundreds of devotees participate in the parade. The purpose of the procession is to promote peace within ourselves, throughout the world and with God, and of course to promote devotion to the Blessed Mother.

2 Comment(s) -:

amiable amy said...

know what...i could only hope that i would see these kind of events here...thanks for posting this ...have more religious stuff ...merry christmas...i added you to my list

Mike Gallego said...

only in the philippines.. hehe :)