The Unbroken Reverie

...the spirit never ceases to flourish.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jammed in YJAM

Written by Mike Gallego

I together with other eight intellectuals of our High School Editorial Team were chosen by our adviser to represent our school, Don Bosco in a seminar-conference on journalism yesterday, July 10, 2009. This seminar-conference was conducted inside the old meeting hall of the mayor of Mandaluyong City, at the 4th floor of the old building in Maysilo Circle.

Only three big schools: Don Bosco, La Salle, and Lourdes, were invited to participate in the said seminar-conference; the rest, if not public, were semi-private schools. Though, La Salle and Lourdes did not send their representatives. Perhaps they do not consider gaining from a free seminar on journalism. Right.

The speaker was Albert Almendralejo. He began his journalism career as a contributor of the school organ of San Beda College. On account of that, he became the student council president of the said college. This exposed him in the task of event-organizing and engaging more with different people which means more writing. Some works he handled were the Guinness successful Colgate Lovapalooza where more than 6000 lovers kissed simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, and Bakal Boys (Children Metal Divers): an indie film featuring the lives of unfortunate children in Baseco, Tondo scavenging iron and metal scraps in the dark, muddy waters of Manila Bay. Almendralejo has a degree in Management but, apparently, he is reaching higher in the field of media.

Almendralejo taught us how to capture readers for our articles and how we can reach out to other people as journalists. He just said that our articles must be related to the readers' interests and we could help the disregarded members of our community by addressing in our works their situations and needs. I would not elaborate this for now.

We were expecting three speakers that day but unfortunately only one of them was able to come. We just spent the remaining time of the course with a series of exchange of ideas.

After the course, we were stranded in the City Hall because it was raining and the roads around were already submerged in water. Our adviser called to school to send us a service so we could go back there but since it was already past five, the head of our department had already left the school. We had no choice but to brave the deep flood and the heavy rain.

Getting stuck somewhat gave way for us to bond with one another, which was a good thing. One of them told me some good remarks, and I was happy because I had the chance to show my kindness by giving back to him the favor. Through our conversations, I learned some new great things about them.

Going home, I had to ride a pedal-operated tricycle to cross the sunken road. I asked the driver to drop me to the near gasoline station where I could wait for a jeepney. Jeepneys were quickly filled by other waiting passengers. Just about after eight jeepneys I was able to roll up. Nevertheless, I consider myself lucky because I had three schoolmate-friends inside the jeep. They told me they were from McDo, and they asked me why I was wet and where I was from. I told them what happened, that we were jammed in YJAM (Youth Journalist Association of Mandaluyong).

All in all, it was a memorable day for me. A simple yet an enjoyable adventure.

3 Comment(s) -:

http://llanesfamily.multiply.com/ said...

So should I expect to see you covering the beat on TV Patrol soon? :D

Mike Gallego said...

if you are referring to Bayan Mo Ipatrol Mo. i think it's been replaced by a new segment in the news program. Boto Mo Ipatrol Mo.

Benhur Abalos is a Bosconian. lol. if i would criticize him for his inadequacy, it might just backfire to our community because he's our namesake.

joking.

kevin paul said...

Oh hi kuya. I just also hope being a part of the board. Hehe. Need to prove myself a bit more. So thanks again. Bye! (: